ONE YEAR TO GO TO BERLIN 2018
Monday 07 August 2017
Image credit: Berlin Leichtathletik-EM 2018
The gun will go on the Berlin 2018 European Athletics Championships in exactly one year’s time, with the German capital staging what will be the sport’s most important competition on the continent next year between 7-12 August.
Already many of the medallists and finalists from the IAAF World Championships London 2017 have set their sights on Berlin 2018 as their next big target.
Germany’s 2017 world championships heptathlon silver medallist Carolin Schäfer is among them. “It will be awesome to compete on home soil and, with almost all the world’s top heptathletes coming from Europe, it will be almost a repeat of the competition here in London.
“I loved the atmosphere in the London Stadium and the way the spectators got behind all the competitors. Like London, German athletics supporters are very knowledgeable and passionate, and I am sure that make next year’s European Athletics Championships a fantastic event.”
The championships promise to be the most spectacular in European Athletics Championships history and, for the first time, they will be part of the multi-sport European Championships with Glasgow the host city for six other sports.
Tickets and special packages are already available – and selling fast – and further details can be found here: www.berlin2018.info/en/specials
- The Berlin 2018 European Athletics Championships will be part of the first multi-sport European Championships along with co-hosts Glasgow.
- It will be a must-watch, must-attend experience that elevates the status of European Champions, uniting existing European Championships to celebrate the highest honour in European sport and celebrating the defining moments that create Champions.
- It is the continent’s ultimate multisport event, an 11-day celebration of European sport staged every four years.
- Seven of Europe’s leading sports (athletics, aquatics, rowing, golf, cycling, gymnastics, triathlon) will be brought together for the first edition.
- The European Athletics Championships in Berlin will be staged 7-12 August. The six other sports will be staged in Glasgow through 2-12 August.
- 4,500 athletes and 52 nations will compete across the seven sports.
- Potential TV audience of over 1 billion with millions more across multiple digital platforms.
- Over half a million spectators expected.
In the summer of 2018 Europe’s top athletes will compete in the inaugural European Championships – an exciting new multi-sport event bringing together some of the continent’s leading sports.
Tickets for both the Glasgow 2018 European Championships and Berlin 2018 European Championships are on sale.